The aim of the programme "Rhine 2040" is to reduce flood risks on the Rhine and its tributaries by at least 15 % from 2020 to 2040, although the flood risk is intensifying with climate change and at the same time the population along the Rhine is growing. To this end, seven sub-goals were formulated, which are to be implemented, among other things, through the measures listed below.
1. Improve flood forecasting on a regular basis
2. Implement flood level reduction measures
3. Determine and secure locations for further suitable flood retention areas
4. Use synergies between flood protection and ecology
5. Keep undeveloped floodplains clear
6. Ensure flood-adapted construction
7. Increase risk awareness